Announcement: 2017 Chancellor's Achievement Award for Diversity
2017 Chancellor’s Achievement Awards for Diversity
Call for Nominations
Chancellor Blumenthal invites nominations for the 2017 Chancellor’s Achievement Awards for Diversity. These awards will honor and showcase people who and programs and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to furthering diversity, inclusion and excellence at UC Santa Cruz. Eligible recipients include undergraduate and graduate students, student organizations, academic and staff employees, campus units (e.g., offices, departments or divisions) and academic or administrative programs. Diversity recognition and award programs offer important opportunities to promote and institutionalize diversity and honor those who actualize our Principles of Community. The Chancellor’s Achievement Awards for Diversity highlight diversity as a campus priority and necessity for maintaining institutional excellence. In addition, the awards process, event, and publicity showcase campus diversity achievements and best practices to internal and external audiences and enable students and academic and staff employees to communicate and document their achievements.
Eligible individuals, units, organizations or programs must demonstrate substantive diversity-related achievements (that are above and beyond typical organization activities and job or program duties and expectations), having met one or more of the following criteria:
- Nominee created community-building programs for students from underserved and/or underrepresented backgrounds
- Nominee implemented new or creative approaches to mentoring or leadership development programs for students, academic employees and/or staff employees, including but not limited to women, people of color, veterans and people with disabilities
- Nominee established new and creative approaches to recruit and retain students, academic employees and/or staff employees, including but not limited to women, people of color, veterans and people with disabilities
- Nominee created and implemented innovative approaches to support the academic success of students, including but not limited to women, people of color, veterans and people with disabilities
- Nominee implemented creative strategies to increase the PhD pipeline including but not limited to women, people of color, veterans and people with disabilities
- Nominee made substantive contributions to and/or expanded opportunities for the professional development of staff, including but not limited to women, people of color, veterans and people with disabilities
- Nominee applied effective/innovative strategies to meet affirmative action goals
- Nominee implemented successful initiatives that promoted a more diverse and inclusive environment including those which address identity-based conflicts and hate/bias incidents
- Nominee promoted greater understanding of diversity issues or advanced the diversity field through research, publications, teaching/training and/or other modalities
- Nominee organized unique and innovative campus, departmental and/or divisional event(s) that brought people of different backgrounds and statuses together to participate in an activity that promoted diversity and inclusion
Nomination and Selection Process
Academic and staff employees and students are invited to nominate eligible individuals, units/divisions, organizations or programs for the award. The nomination form must be submitted electronically. In order to allow for full appreciation of the nominee’s accomplishments, nominators are strongly encouraged to provide supporting documentation that demonstrates exceptional diversity-related achievements which align with awards criteria. (Examples of appropriate supporting documentation include but are not limited to: letters or testimonials from service recipients or program participants; program or event evaluations; copies of flyers and/or media coverage about an event, program or initiative; reports and/or data demonstrating diversity-related outcomes; and other written or multimedia materials documenting the activity for which the nominee is nominated.) Supporting documentation must be sent electronically as attachments to the nomination form. We strongly suggest that supporting documentation is submitted in PDF format.
Nominators must login using their CruzID and Blue password. For questions about accessing or submitting the electronic form and for disability accommodations, please contact Kiyana Modes, Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: (831) 459-1590, firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Click here to access and submit the nomination form and supporting documentation.]
Recipients will be chosen by a selection committee comprised of representatives from the following groups:
- Chancellor's Office
- Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE)
- Senate Committee on Affirmative Action and Diversity
- Academic Affairs
- Staff Advisory Board
- Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Academic Personnel Office
- Staff Human Resources
- Student Union Assembly
- Graduate Student Association
- Former Award Recipient
- At Large Member Familiar with Student Organizations and Programs
Deadline: Nominations and supporting materials must be received by 5PM, Monday, April 3, 2017.