2014-2015 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
2014-15 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
The Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is excited to announce the course schedule for the 2014-15 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program. Registration began on September 8, 2014 (class size is limited).
All interested employees must register through the UC Learning Center portal.
Please view the course schedule below, and follow the instructions to register for your classes.
- Click on the UC Learning Center link
- Log In with your Cruz ID Gold Password
- Above the Quick Start Overview heading, click on the "Catalog" link to view all the courses offered in the program
- Under the Career and Professional Development headline, click on the "Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program."
- Register individually for each course you plan to attend
Please keep track of all courses that you complete, and notify us at email@example.com when you have completed the program.
Certificates will be awarded to employees who meet the program requirements at the Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Graduation Ceremony which takes place at the end of each academic year.
Wait List Process:
A wait list is automatically generated for courses that exceed maximum enrollment. Participants on the wait list may be notified of the opportunity to be added one week before the start of each class if spaces become available due to cancellations. Wait listed participants will be offered spaces based on registration date.
NOTE: Last Minute Cancellations (1-3 days prior to class)
If there are last minute cancellations, we will send an email announcement to all wait list participants to see if they would like to be added to the class. You will be added to the class in the order of response to the announcement.
For registered participants, if you know in advance that you are not able to attend a class, please cancel your registration far in advance so that we can add those on the wait list. Please note that we discourage last minute cancellations due to the high demand of participation in the certificate program.
Priority Registration Process:
All participants seeking to earn a certificate have two years to complete the required classes (information below). To facilitate ability to complete the courses within the two year requirement; we created a priority registration process which allows participants who are entering the second year of the program to enroll in their remaining classes “early”, before the fall registration process. If you qualify for the priority registration process, you will receive an email in the spring providing instructions for early registration.
About the Program:
Building an inclusive environment that promotes diversity and inclusion requires the active participation of everyone on campus. The Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program consists of eight courses (seven core courses and two electives) providing a valuable professional development opportunity at no cost to employees or employee units. The Program is designed to offer participants an in-depth examination of diversity and differences in order to gain a greater understanding of how we can and why we should work together to build a stronger and more inclusive UC Santa Cruz community. Participants will gain valuable knowledge and skills that will enable them to more effectively and enjoyably work and lead in a multicultural, diverse environment.
Participants who complete all seven core courses and two elective program courses within two years qualify to receive a certificate of completion. Individual courses are also open to those who are not pursuing a certificate; individuals do have the option to take courses based on their own interest.
The courses range from two to three hours and will be taught by various internal and external instructors in different formats. The core courses are offered at least twice during the academic year while the elective courses are offered once.
NOTE: A new core course requirement was added to the 2014-15 program. Only new participants who are enrolling in the program for the first time are required to complete this additional core course to receive a certificate of completion.Core course topics include:
- NEW! Historical Overview: Power, Privilege and Oppression
- Overview of Diversity, Retention & Inclusion: Successes and Challenges at UCSC
- Understanding Race, Ethnicity & National Origin
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Issues in the Workplace & Beyond
- Communicating Across Generations
- Developing Diversity Change Agents
- Disability 101
Elective course topics include:
- Fair Hiring (online)
- Understanding Religious Beliefs & Believers
- Troops to College
- Coming to Terms with our Differences
- Speaking Up to Bias
- Increasing Our Intercultural Proficiency in Working with UCSC’s International Students & Scholars
- Cultural Competency for Supervisors: Managing a Diverse Workforce
- NEW! Examining Microaggressions and their Impact on Campus Climate
- NEW! Raising Your CQ (Cultural Intelligence)
COMPLETE COURSE DESCRIPTIONS CAN BE VIEWED HERE (COURSE DATES VARY AND WILL BE LISTED IN THE LMS DIRECTORY ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2014):
Sponsored by the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion