2014-2015 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
2014-15 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program
Save the Date Announcement
The Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is excited to announce the course schedule for the 2014-15 Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program. Please mark your calendars, registration begins on September 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM (class size is limited).
All employees will be able to register through the UC Learning Center.
- Diversity & Inclusion Certificate Program - Course Schedule (PDF)
- Click on the UC Learning Center link
- Log In with your Cruz ID Gold Password
- Above the Quick Start Overview heading, click on the "Catalog" link to view all the courses offered in the program
- Under the Career and Professional Development headline, click on the "Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program."
- Register individually for each course you plan to attend
Please keep track of all courses that you complete, and notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you have completed the program.
Certificates will be awarded at the Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Ceremony at the end of the academic year.
About the Program:
Building an inclusive environment that promotes diversity and inclusion requires the active participation of everyone on campus. The Diversity and Inclusion Certificate Program consists of eight courses (seven core courses and two electives) providing a valuable professional development opportunity at no cost to employees or employee units. The Program is designed to offer participants an in-depth examination of diversity and differences in order to gain a greater understanding of how we can and why we should work together to build a stronger and more inclusive UC Santa Cruz community. Participants will gain valuable knowledge and skills that will enable them to more effectively and enjoyably work and lead in a multicultural, diverse environment.
Participants who complete all seven core courses and two elective program courses within two years qualify to receive a certificate of completion. Individual courses are also open to those who are not pursuing a certificate; individuals do have the option to take courses based on their own interest.
The courses range from two to three hours and will be taught by various internal and external instructors in different formats. The core courses are offered at least twice during the academic year while the elective courses are offered once.
NOTE: A new core course requirement was added to the 2014-15 program. Only new participants who are enrolling in the program for the first time are required to complete this additional core course to receive a certificate of completion.Core course topics include:
- NEW! Historical Overview: Power, Privilege and Oppression
- Overview of Diversity, Retention & Inclusion: Successes and Challenges at UCSC
- Understanding Race, Ethnicity & National Origin
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Issues in the Workplace & Beyond
- Communicating Across Generations
- Developing Diversity Change Agents
- Disability 101
Elective course topics include:
- Fair Hiring (online)
- Understanding Religious Beliefs & Believers
- Troops to College
- Coming to Terms with our Differences
- Speaking Up to Bias
- Increasing Our Intercultural Proficiency in Working with UCSC’s International Students & Scholars
- Cultural Competency for Supervisors: Managing a Diverse Workforce
- NEW! Examining Microaggressions and their Impact on Campus Climate
- NEW! Raising Your CQ (Cultural Intelligence)
COMPLETE COURSE DESCRIPTIONS CAN BE VIEWED HERE (COURSE DATES VARY AND WILL BE LISTED IN THE LMS DIRECTORY ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2014):
Sponsored by the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion