UCSC is committed to supporting its veteran students and employees.
Services for Transfer and Re-Entry Students (STARS) helps UCSC to welcome students who are military veterans and invites them to participate in a wide variety of academic and personal support services and programs. A student veteran support coordinator, and a group of veteran peer mentors are available on a drop-in or by-appointment basis to assist with your transition to the campus and help you get started on your UCSC educational path.
The affirmative action provisions of the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA) prohibits job discrimination and requires federal contractors and subcontractors to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified Vietnam era veterans, special disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, and veterans who served on active duty during a war on in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized.
Effective March 24, 2014, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) has published Final Rule that made changes to the regulations implementing the VEVRAA, as amended, at 41 CFR Part 60-300. For more information on the new rules, please see UCSC's 2014 Section 503 & VEVRAA Rules Fact Sheet or visit the OFCCP website VEVRAA.
Military reservists and National Guard members called to active duty have rights and responsibilities under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
Additional information is available from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), another government resource that provides information on programs and benefits for veterans, and locations of VA facilities worldwide.
For UCSC employment opportunities, visit: Job Openings at UCSC.
- Am I a Protected Veteran? Infographic from Department of Labor - OFCCP
- US Department of Veteran's Affair - Veteran's Employment Toolkit
- American's Heroes at Work - Step by Step Toolkit for Employer
- California's Department of Veterans Affair
- Guide To Hiring Veterans - PDF
- WorkForce Santa Cruz County
- You have a lot to Offer: Ten Points for Veterans to Consider When Returning to Work with a Disability - PDF
- Understanding Your Employment Rights Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): A Guide for Veterans